• Coming Soon

• Lucy Wins!

Kobe Bryant: An All Time Legend

Yash Kumar, Contributor

Kobe Bean Bryant. One of the greatest basketball players in the NBA. He was the the all time best basketball player and even considerably as good as Michael Jordan. Born on August 23, 1978, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Kobe Bryant was the son of former NBA player Joe Bryant, or Jellybean Bryant. After he retired from the NBA, Kobe’s father took him and his family to Italy. He had two older sisters, Shaya and Sharia who both were very athletic. When the family moved back to Pennsylvania, Kobe joined his high school basketball team at Lower Merion High School. He was definitely the best player out there and was able to lead his basketball team to four championships in a row. He had wanted to go to the NBA in high school and was able to practice and work with the NBA Philadelphia Seventy-Sixers. He wasn’t just a good basketball player, but also a very bright student. He did very well in school and got a high SAT score. This is one of the reasons that he was a skilled player, his basketball IQ on the court. Even though he did extremely well in school, he still had his sights set on going to the NBA. He decided to go straight out of high school to the NBA and skip college. He was picked at the age of only 18 when he got the 13th overall pick of the 1996 NBA draft by the Charlotte Hornets. He was then immediately traded to the Los Angeles Lakers. He in fact wasn’t too great when he first started off and had even thought of quitting. Magazines had said that he was one of the top 5 most hated athletes and he was a nobody. The next game Kobe Bryant scored 81 points against the Toronto raptors. People went crazy and started to really see Kobe as the player he was. The only thing he needed, was a little bit of confidence. After that game, Kobe’s career blew up and people started comparing him to Michael Jordan. He even created an alter ego for himself. He created the Black mamba. The Black Mamba was an alter ego that Kobe had made when he was on the court. Off the court, he was Kobe Bryant. He had become one of the greatest players in the NBA if not the greatest player. Michael Jordan had also said that Kobe Bryant was one of the best all around players in the game. By the time his career ended in 2016, Kobe Bryant had received 5 NBA championships, 2 finals MVPs, an MVP, 4 All-star Game MVPs, 2 NBA scoring championships, and had won an NBA Slam Dunk Contest. In the end, Kobe Bryant was definitely one of the greatest players in the history of the NBA. Kobe Bryant was a legend, and will always continue to be.