Mental Health: Teen Depression and Suicide

Jason Jenkins, Contributor

Depression and suicide is something that is always appreciated in the movies, it seems that when the main protagonist is feeling a bit blue almost everyone in the audience can sympathize with them, but in real life, it is heavily shunned down on. It’s often looked at like a small deal, just move on and stop being so dramatic is how most respond to this kind of issue. But just how big of a problem is depression and suicide in America? The answer is quite shocking, the second leading cause of deaths among teens is suicide. About 20 percent of teens are depressed, meaning 1 in 5 teens suffer from depression and all of its symptoms. Though with this many teens suffering from a serious problem you would think that a lot of them would be seeing professional help and getting treated for this problem. Though sadly only 30 percent of teens are treated for their depression. Putting things in bigger numbers, about 5,000 teens kill themselves, these numbers tripled since 1970’s, and have shown to grow at a steady rate. Why has this number been growing so rapidly compared to a few decades ago? Researchers often ask themselves. Studies show that 90 percent of the time suicidal teens, also suffer from other disorders and other issues, and there are tons of factors as to why teens are depressed, ranging from issues at school like bullying, to issues at home, such as a abuse or neglect. This depression often times lead to suicide, studies find that depression is the number one reason people across America commit suicide. Though one thing that has remained across the board in these studies is that teens who are depressed and feel suicidal also deal with a lot of pressure, which would explain why suicide is also the second leading cause of death for college students. Although they are not teens, their pressure and workload is also the same cause of depression that many high school and middle schoolers face. This also explains why the suicide rate has increased over the past few decades, today’s generation are faced with much more rehabilitates and much more work than ever before, and this amounts to a lot of stress that many many teens deal with, which then further leads to depre ssion and suicide. Though this doesn’t mean that there isn’t a hope, research found that 80 percent of depressed teens that receive professional help, feel much better and get rid of their depression. Watch for your loved ones, there are many signals that may hint at depression, like changes in behavior, eating, sleeping, and decrease in productivity (sports, school work, and just energy in general). If you believe that you or someone you love is depressed, do not wait to do something, because it might be too late at that point, so call 1-800-273-8255 if you notice something wrong with a loved one.